Among other things, they allow photography, and they have the cases and lighting set up so that it is actually possible. Among the three of us, we took 146 pictures, now loaded on my computer. I'll share just a few here, and I'm considering creating a separate blog for the rest.
This is the Rosetta Stone.
The displays are top notch. Perfectly lit, well-labeled. Each exhibit was a very nice mix of real things and illustrative--even touchable--reproductions, right beside each other. The next photo is Ellie and me at the Nereid monument exhibit. Some touchable reproductions are on the ground; the real things are elevated.This is a panel from the frieze on the Parthenon. Notice the holes in the bull's nose and the man's hand. These were anchor points for a chain. The originals had metal ornamentation, long lost.
The Museum has a daily program of more than a dozen free talks. We took advantage of two: a lovely Iranian lady explained ancient Mesopotamian artifacts to us, and this gentleman walked us through the Enlightenment and several instances of how and when humans went from blaming things on unpredictable gods to actually figuring out how they worked.
This is a Neolithic British ax.
In 1939, an excavator explored some odd mounds near Sutton Hoo in Suffolk, and found an Anglo-Saxon royal burial ship. The ship had been buried whole, with a treasure on board. Here is a purse lid of beautiful craftsmanship, which was found with its coins.
In a few cases, the original object was left just as it came out of the ground--still squashed, broken, and mashed into a solid hunk. Right beside it would be a reproduction or a similar object, fully recreated. The Museum did not pull its punches: some of these, such as this Ur helmet, were not for the squeamish.
Enough of that.
We all enjoyed the Mesopotamian talk immensely. Here is the Royal Game of Ur.
Much more recently--only 700 years BCE--the Assyrians recorded in cuneiform on clay tablets a story of the Great Flood--the Gilgamesh Epic.
Arriving at practically modern times, as the story of humanity goes, we also saw some stunning Roman mosaics.
Finally, we saw a fabulous Italian vase--the Portland vase--from the first century. A cobalt-blue vase was made first, then a white-glass vase was fired on top. The white glass was then carved away.
After the museum, our next deliberate stop was to be Charing Cross Road, where I could browse some old books. On the way there, Ellie led us to a place called Neal's Yard.
London has a program of marking the former residences of famous people with blue medallions. The person must have been dead for 20 years to get a medallion. We saw many, most of whom I did not know. However, notice in the previous picture (near the center, just below the longest hanging ivy) that there is a blue medallion on the wall.
I got my first real sense of place from this walk. The buildings were so full of character. I took both of the following photos without moving my feet.
Bookstores no longer dominate the whole of Charing Cross Road--though there were many. Ellie really wanted us to see Cecil Court, just off Charing Cross Road.
It was delightful--mostly bookstores, with a few antiquities and map stores.Ellie pointed out something I'm not sure I would have noticed otherwise: neither of us have ever seen so many advertisements for books as we saw in London. Right there, among the big posters publicizing new movies, new cars, new communications gadgets, etc, were numerous ads for books!
But back to Cecil Court: I got myself on the mailing list of one bookstore that had an entire section of books on the perennial philosophy along with other serious spiritual books, also along with books on crop circles and faeries.
We wanted to eat dinner in a real pub, and Ellie picked a great one for us.
The menu of Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese notes that it was rebuilt in 1667. I absolutely believe that the pub has been there for longer. It was a labyrinth of bars and tiny dining rooms and basements and subbasements.Allegedly, Charles Dickens ate dinner in our booth. A framed letter on the wall was from someone who ate with him. I do not doubt it. Any pub that has been in business that long in that area (the old city) of London has hosted many a luminary, I am sure.
Next: Day Three...

No comments:
Post a Comment