
I'm going to let the photos do the talking for a bit:
For all the impressive garden architecture, landscaping, and horticultural feats of daring with exotic plants, I most enjoyed the old, old trees--another thing that there is no chance of in our Waunakee garden.
The tree walk was designed by the same engineers who built the London Eye.


After the boat, we took a 'flight' on the London Eye, a very large Ferris wheel with large clear pods instead of open seats. The wheel does not stop moving, but goes so slowly (a full circle in 30 minutes), people can get on and off even while it moves.
The Eye was built as a temporary attraction for the millennium celebrations, but turned out to be so popular that it is now permanent.
Views from the Eye: Parliament(above); Buckingham Palace and St. James Park (below.)
After the Eye, we took the tube to a different neighborhood. London has special crosswalks known as ‘zebra crossings,’ where cars must give pedestrians the right-of-way. The famous Abbey Road crosswalk is one of these. When we visited in the early evening, tourists were taking brazen advantage of their ability to make traffic stop while they imitated the Beatles.
I feel so sorry for people who live in the neighborhood. We did not take any of our own pictures because I did not want to add to the hubbub. It was fun, though, to be near the Apple Studios, and it is touching that there is still so much affection for the Beatles.Walking through this neighborhood, we were so impressed by the English gardening. When I’d heard of English gardens before, I’d pictured countryside cottages or large estates—something with serious square footage. However, within the city the tiniest front yards managed to grow spectacular displays. Hydrangeas, particularly, were lush and flamboyant.
I think it must have something to do with the long hours of sunlight. The island is so far north that on Thursday, for example, sunrise in London was at 5:00 AM and sunset was at 9:10 PM. In Wisconsin on the same day, sunrise was 5:33 AM and sunset was 8:34. London got over an hour’s more sunlight. And boy, do they make good use of it!Next: Day 4--NOT in London...
No comments:
Post a Comment